One of the main challenges as the owner of a commercial property is keeping your building in good repair. Any problems that come along could disrupt your business, costing you time and money.
It’s particularly important to pay attention to your commercial roofing system. Leaks in a flat commercial roof can quickly cause damage to the rest of your property, potentially leading to major structural issues.
If you’re in the market for a new commercial roof, it’s a good idea to fully research your options before jumping into an investment. Knowing the advantages and disadvantages of various types of commercial roof can help you to make a decision as to the best option for your needs and budget.
In this blog, we discuss the advantages of single ply roofing systems for commercial properties.
What is single ply roofing?
As the name suggests, single ply roofing involves installing a roofing membrane comprising a single membrane.
There are a few different materials that can be used to create this membrane, but the two that we use here at Roofing Consultants Group are polyvinyl chloride (PVC) and thermoplastic olefin (TPO).
Both of these materials are well suited to use on flat commercial roofs, due to their durability, ability to withstand the elements, and ease of repair.
Single ply roofing can be fixed in place mechanically, using fasteners, or fully adhered. Both options provide a watertight roofing solution that has many benefits over other materials, such as felt.
Advantages of single ply roofing
- Waterproof – Single ply roofing systems are commonly chosen for flat commercial roofs due to their superior waterproofing.
- Warm – With energy bills at an all-time high, opting to replace your old commercial roof with a single ply roofing system is an ideal solution to improve your building’s thermal efficiency. Single ply roofing is applied over the top of the insulation, keeping your commercial building warm all year round.
- Suitable for awkward roof shapes – Single ply roofing systems are well suited to unusual roof shapes and layouts. They can provide a watertight solution to areas that may otherwise prove difficult, such as those around chimneys or HVAC equipment.
- UV resistant – The sun’s UV rays can cause a great deal of damage to commercial roofs over the years. Single ply roofs are designed to be highly UV resistant. This means they won’t expand and contract in extreme weather, causing cracks and potentially leading to moisture ingress.
- Lightweight – Single ply roofing is much lighter than many other commercial roofing systems. This means that it causes less stress on your building’s structure.
- Cost-effective – Single ply commercial roofs are often chosen as they are one of the most sustainable and economical options on the market.
Get in touch
If you’re in need of experienced commercial roofing contractors to replace your commercial roof, get in touch to talk through your options.